Friday, April 12, 2019

Life Is An Adventure

Getting in the car is an adventure. Going to the store is an adventure. Going to a paint competition is an adventure. Yup. Its all about attitude.

Last September Dick and I were in Utah, one of the most visually blessed states I have ever been in. I was painting in Escalante for the first time. Wow. Oh wow. Did I say wow?



The event we were at was so darned friendly, that I forgot we were out of state. But the scenery reminded me. I never used so much Burnt Sienna in my  life! I had a blast making and meeting new friends, painting in  places where divine design was in every glance. You had to hunt to find a lousy view. I never did. My only gripe was the lack of turn offs where the painting view was astounding. It took a bit to get used to the heat of color in those vistas, married to the cool blues of recession in the landscape. It was a true WONDERland. We were like kids in a visual candy store. It was hard to pick out what spoke to you personally to use as a paint motif. Didn't win anything, having been outclassed at every turn. That was fine. To each their turn. Besides the winning pieces were deserving.

Kiva
Escalante Utah
11x14 Available

Kiva Cleft
Escalante Utah
11x14 Available

Dick took time to ride the not often used roads that were not paved. He searched out and found an ancestral dwelling, fallen into ruin, that had been in his family when they moved west with the Mormon Battalion. This trip had deeply personal connections for him. Ghost towns can be so evocative.

At competition's end we left Escalante for Moab. The second of the plein air competitions for me. I had a few paintings under my belt with those vibrating red rocks. Onward!

We camped at Arches View campgrounds and toured Arches National Park, Canyonland National Park and Dead Horse Point State Park.  Go ahead try to pick a favorite. The storage on my camera almost was exhausted.
We had one night and one morning there and the adventure truly began. Not all adventures are as expected. Dick suffered a stroke. Ongoing symptoms required he be air lifted to Salt Lake City. I have NEVER seen such care! I hope to never again have to visit that hospital, but am ever thankful that it and its wonderful personnel are there. I have never been the recipient of such kindness in helping me get ready for the midnight road trip to get myself to SLC. I thought the wonders were in the rocks in Utah. Not so. It was in their people. From the helpers at the campsite to the stroke team at the University hospital each person was caring, supportive, thoughtful and kind. We were both extremely thankful.

Moab would have to wait. Getting him home was the imperative.

Dick is continuing his recovery and is following Dr's orders, but champing at the bit to be back on that bike. I swear if it could kiss, I'd have grounds for divorce! But he is planning to ride Utah again. I am planning to go back to Escalante to paint, having just signed up this morning. We refuse to have that state represent difficulties. It will in our hearts be the place where we had an unplanned adventure that started Dick's journey back to good health. A place that tested our reserves but brought us back to share values and a knowledge that all we have is today and each other.  A place that taught us to accept kindness gracefully. A place that taught us that all we have is our shared adventure.

Life is an adventure. Live it.


No comments:

Post a Comment