Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Monterey Reflections 2013

Go To My Website
I am filled with anxiety about posting my paintings from my trip to Monterey.

I know that the only person you are in competition with is yourself and your last painting. And the majority of us are so wanting when we compare ourselves to the giants of plein air that we watched up on the stage, that we feel humbled.  I know that I can only paint as good as I can paint right now, and that plein air has it’s own inherent situational problems. I know that NEVER do we EVER paint as well as the masterpieces we paint in our own minds. I know that I talk to myself as I paint just to remind myself of what is uppermost in my mind as a goal with this current painting.  It’s a miracle somebody doesn’t call the men with the white coats that have those VERY long sleeves. So all that said……here goes.
I will post four of my paintings, flaws and all here for you to see. Just judge kindly and remember the 50 mph gusts of wind!

First is the seascape that I did the first day we all painted together at Asilomar State Park, just south of Monterey. It’s done now, or as done as it’s going to get. Are there things I would change? ‘You betcha’ as my Midwestern friends would say. There are at least two paintings in this study, if I ever work from it later on, and I may, there is material here for development.
Day 1 at Asilomar State Park

Second is the piece from the Sunday that I left Monterey. This piece has two paintings in it as well. I am sensing a theme here. I think I am not simplifying ENOUGH. Maybe next go round I won’t get distracted and may remember this lesson.
Piece 2 at Asilomar
Third is the only painting that I did in which I actually like some parts. It is of the coastline along the community of Monterey. Although there is a lot in this painting, the hierarchy of subjects works for me.  I painted along with Michelle Maris and Debra Groesser that morning. What a fun day.  This was the first time I ever painted cypress trees. Man they are weird and twisty! But fun! And I sure didn’t get much of the Pacific in this one, but trust me, it was there, cold, wind and all. Funny story – a Monterey local came by and told me “You sure can tell you’ve painted those trees a lot!” Go figure.

Monterey Cypresses

Fourth is the painting that I did in Santa Ysabel CA on the return trip. I took that day to spend with my friend Glenda and we painted together. The sun seemed to fairly race across the sky that morning and I didn’t want to get caught in the race, so I committed and painted what I at first saw. It changed so very much from that early threatening sky that it looked nothing like this by the time we finished. I love this valley and as long as we lived in San Diego County I had always wanted to paint it.

Santa Ysabel Morning

Hubby’s favorite is not at all what I would have expected it to be. He likes number one. What’s your favorite? Or do you not have one?
All these paintings are available, already framed in gold or black. If you are interested in any one, please email me.

Favorite quote of the day:

There are four artists: There is the artist you think you are, the artist you wish you were, the artist you want others to think you are, and the artist that you are. If you spend too much time thinking about all this, you may never find out who the last one is!                                                                                        (Susan Holland)

13 comments:

  1. I think they are all very beautiful. My favorite is the second sea scene, as always I love your colors. Aleada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aleada, your support means a great deal.

      Delete
  2. I agree that they are all great. If I had to pick favorites, I think I'd pick #1 and #4. Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting to see what people pick. Hubby really surprised me, cause he doesn't normally go for seascapes.
      I do thank you for your kind comments.

      Delete
  3. I like #4 because it reminds me of the California I remember growing up, before it got so crowded and busy and built up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that is why I love that valley so much. It is on the way to Julian form East County San Diego. Still unspoiled.
      Thanks Annette.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the colors and strength of #2. It's mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You surprised me too. I thought you'd like the third one. Thanks Amy!

      Delete
  6. Love them all! So glad you posted them. I think my favorite is the cypress trees. Love the way you handled them and their sky holes. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Denise! I like that one too. For now. I normally don't like my work at all.
      I figure to improve on these next year. It will be fun to compare this year's with next.
      Great meeting you! We need to spend more time together next year.

      Delete
  7. Love them Louise - and I have drawn cypresses on that coast and know what they're like - they're certainly a challenge but nice because they're kind of sculptural

    I think the second Asilomar painting is stunning

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes cypresses are challenging, and I think that is why I enjoyed them so much. I can't wait to go back next year and try them again.
    Thanks for the kind words Katherine.

    ReplyDelete