Monday, June 3, 2013

Spring - Revisited Along Truck By-Pass

Go to My Website
A few weeks ago I went painting along truck by-pass. There is a bush along that road that turns pink for about two weeks out of the year. The rest of the year, it is a nondescript, dead army cammo green. I had a good painting morning.
When I got home, I put my painting next to the one I had done of the same bush last year. It’s interesting to see the differences in what is essentially the same composition, same location, same bush and same painter.
And I wonder at the changes. I did not bring the earlier piece along with me, as I did not want to unduly influence this year’s painting.  I thought that I had changed the composition. True, there is a big depression and ditch so one does have to be careful to not become one with the landscape, and the cactus in the area makes that a tumble I would not want to experience. So the area that you can walk about looking for a different vantage point to paint is limited, which might help to understand the similarities.


Spring On Truck By-Pass
Spring 2012

Pink Bush Spring
Spring 2013







 



 
There are differences in the two pieces.
  • The first is much more tightly drawn than the other
  • Last year's is more colorful than the other
  • The newer one has freer brushstrokes
  • This year's is more cool in tone than last year's work
I find I like the newer one far better. It seems less self-conscious to me, and more painterly. Which do you think better?
 
Favorite quote of the day:
 

Be of good cheer. Do not think of today's failures, but of the success that may come tomorrow. You have set yourselves a difficult task, but you will succeed if you persevere; and you will find a joy in overcoming obstacles. Remember, no effort that we make to attain something beautiful is ever lost.”
(Helen Keller)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment